Monday 8 July 2013

Sewing Vintage

Look what arrived today!!
 
Let’s take a minute to ooh and ah and revel in the beauty!
I have always loved the style and fit of pretty vintage dresses, but often they are pricey or just impossible to find in my size, so when I found these gorgeous patterns I couldn't resist snapping them up!

The first envelope is Butterick 6562 which, if the dollar sign is anything to go by, I like to think means it has travelled across space and time from an extremely glamorous era where bespoke versions of the garment were teamed with oversized sunglasses and worn by the likes of Grace Kelly or
Brigitte Bardot, as they relaxed with an ice cold lemonade...I digress, this pattern is a collection of really easy to wear summer dresses, which I think will be super comfortable with their elasticated waist design, perfect for if you have one too many ice creams (yum!)
 


The other is Retro Butterick 5708, and I just adore the cute bow detailing which is positioned differently in each pattern, completely altering the effect of the dress, but each as beautiful as the last. I have a big thing for bows; I love how feminine they are and when combined with the full circle skirt, they make for a perfect dress!
 


I think I might start with the summer dresses, as I have some gorgeous fabric picked up from
The Make Lounge in London a couple of weeks ago – don't you think this particular one would look beautiful in the delicate print?
 
 
I find the simple variations on the neckline particularly exciting as I have fallen victim to neck issues in the past –  I’ve tried making peter pan collars, but have never succeeded in making them sit right, so I’m hoping this pattern with the cuffs and ruffles will help teach me to overcome this.
 
 
As for the bow dress, I'm in a few minds at the moment as to what fabric to use, possibly a subtle lemon yellow for the over the bust tie style, or there is a stunning fabric with a vintage camera design that I have my eye on which is screaming for a retro pattern such as this (seriously, I can hear it now "say cheese!") I may just have to obey and make a new fabricy purchase...
 
 
 
I can't wait to get started!
 
-Emily
 

2 comments:

  1. That fabric is beautiful, really like the design of the turquoise dress, i think you're right either a soft pastelly colour or a bold print for the bow dress. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely!

      Thanks for the comment, I have decided on a yellow and white stripe pattern, I'll post a pic when I'm done!

      x

      Delete